The German Federal Government defines Critical Infrastructures (KRITIS) as organizations or institutions of great importance to the state community whose failure or impairment could lead to sustained shortages, serious disruption to public security or other dramatic consequences. In addition to the failure of these facilities, dangers to the population are a consequence of customers´ and private households´ links to the central supply facilities and the possible distribution of pollutants.
The facilities can be attacked in the areas of information and communication technology, functional technology, logistics, personnel, production and quality. The contamination of the delivery products is a threat for all customers.
Attackers can act from the outside, but also within the facilities and use different methods of attack and action. It has to be taken into account that, as a matter of principle, possibilities for the prediction of the nature and execution of the attack are very limited.
The aim of the project is to introduce a list of the threats, risks, effects and the existing defence mechanisms. The main goal is the development of concepts for technical support and assistance systems in order to detect anomalies, hazards and attacks as early as possible. The real-time monitoring of the operation, the processes and the quality of the delivery products by means of technical sensors, signal processing, classification and the analysis of cases are part of solutions to warn and to take appropriate countermeasures.
The project includes the following work packages on analysis and conceptualization.
Hazard - threat
- Analysis of different potential hazards
- Risks, motives, attack scenarios, potential hazards.
- Skills and measures of operators
- Abilities of the security authorities.
- Need, cost and benefit
- Marketable products, sensors, etc.
- Evaluation, analysis, classification
- Databases, also networked, case data bases
- Research and development.
- Legal framework.
- Possibilities for detection and defense by technical means
- Sensor technology, classification, detection of anomalies
- Business Processes
- Requirements and needs for training
- Technology & Staff - Assistance Systems.
- Market for advanced solutions
- Potential for innovative products.
Links and Downloads
- CritInfr Informationsblatt [pdf]
- CritInfr Information Flyer [pdf]
- BBK, BSI: Internetplattform zum Schutz Kritischer Infrastrukturen
Literature from Different Sources