The identification of persons is a sovereign task. The executing authorities are the state police, the federal police, the customs authorities or the immigration authorities - in Germany the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. Typically, the co-operative person is exposed by way of disposable papers or the passport. Identities can be verified by biometric features such as the fingerprint.
Identity checks can take place at different locations:
- entry to border crossings, ports and airports
- reviews under other sovereign measures.
The availability of the disposable papers as well as trustworthy behavior of the respective persons is required in cooperative scenarios. In case of uncooperative attitude of candidates the authority and its representatives are responsible for the collection of additional data and information that can contribute to the identification. Verifying this information is far more difficult and more complex than the standard process. The reliability of the results can only be determined to a limited extent.
The project is designed to develop appropriate technical support tools to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of these processes. Reproducibility and traceability of the methods are part of a suitable quality assurance concept.
The use of suitable technical procedures can be used to identify characteristics that are useful for the verification of the information of the persons. The following methods and technologies are possible:
- language technology (language, dialect recognition, speaker identification, speaker verification)
- reproducible surveys and reports according to previously arranged question and answer catalogs
- other suitable methods.
- regular refinement and adaptation of the procedures and the associated background models
- integration into the business processes of the authorities
- data protection.
The following figure shows a summary overview.
|Technology||Speech technology, biometric features and identifiers, sensor data fusion, information fusion, database, model modeling, pattern recognition, classification.|
|Markets||Sovereign authorities, police, customs, immigration authorities.|
|Remarks||Integration into processes in operation is taken into account.|
Links and downloads
- PersID Information flyer [pdf]
- PersID Informationsblatt [pdf]
- DITS Projekte [pdf]
- DITS Projects [pdf]
- H.Kuenzel, Kriminalistik 11/2003, S. 676 - 684, Der gegenwärtige Stand der forensischen Sprachverarbeitung [pdf]
- H.Kuenzel, The International Journal of Speech Language and the Law, 2010: Automatic speaker recognition of identical twins [pdf]
- H.Kuenzel, The International Journal of Speech Language and the Law, 2013: Automatic speaker recognition with crosslanguage speech material [pdf]
Refrences from Our Members
Literature from Different Sources